Monday 22 September 2008

Hello Blogsphere!

This is my first blog post. I will start by introducing myself:
My name is Sam and, on the date of publishing 22/09/08, I am soon to be a third year electronic engineering student.
I applied to Durham to read General Engineering and now that I am a third year I have to option of 'streaming' to focus on electronics.
One of the main benefits of the General Engineering course is that I have been able to give each major discipline a fair shot at capturing my imagination. Well, it seems that electronics has won.

I am probably going to be one of about eight electronic engineering students (it seems to be a less popular choice). I am staggered that this is the case given the current trends towards complete global connectivity and the increase in computing power in the home. I fear that so many people will fail to engage with the technological innovations of the 21st century and simply be left in the dust. But I know by now that technology is not everyone's cup of tea. Oh well, sucks to be them. It is mine.

I am looking forward to returning in October for several reasons, chief among which is finding a master's course for my fourth year. I will also spend countless hours on my final year project working with low powered wireless modules (like the Jennic JN5139, http://www.jennic.com/jennic_support/datasheets/jn5139_module_datasheet). Till next Blog.